Updates on the FKT plus notable sites that are tracking.
- The Outside online microwebsite around Tim’s attempt - https://www.outsideonline.com/2423583/pct-fkt
- Adidas Blog page around the attempt. - https://www.adidas.com/us/blog/686957
6/7 - Courtesy of dom_grossman
@timothyallenolson working through miles 350-400, realizing the hard adjustments from ultra running to multi-week long trail projects. There’s things runners are better at, and things thru-hikers are better at, but more than anything the record demands resiliency.
For those curious, he’s completed 362 in his first week, and is trying to stay above 50 miles a day for as long as possible to absorb tougher days in the high Sierra. Ultimately he has to average 50.6 miles over 2655-ish miles to take the supported FKT which is currently 52 days, 8 hours.
His crew isn’t sharing exact location in attempt to respect covid protocols and avoid large crowds coming out, however he does have a small documentary team with him filming. I have been letting him know how much everyone around the world is pulling for him and he is feeling the love. 🌎 ❤️
6/8 - passing through Sheep Mountain Wilderness
6/9 - passing the San Gabriel Wilderness
- Last night Timothy reached Kennedy Meadows - this is a big milestone: the traditional kick-off to the High Sierra.
- He survived the Mohave, came through the San Bernadino’s, and now the real game begins as he goes from the deserts to 10,000’ high passes.
- Kennedy Meadows is at 696 miles; with a start on June 1 that equals 49.71 miles/day.
- The PCT is 2,592 miles; the Supported FKT is 52.35 days by Karl Sabbe
- That FKT averages 49.51 mpd, so he is almost EXACTLY on pace
- After two full weeks on the Trail, that is extraordinary - game on!
- Note: The Sierra’s are in a record-breaking drought, so the lack of snow should allow good progress
- Both Karel and Stringbean actually started somewhat slowly and worked into their fast paces; it is possible he is slightly ahead of their pace at the this point.
6/17 - Timothy is in a more remote area of the Southern Sierra where he will have to do some camping. Camped last night near Arrowhead Lake.
6/19 - Cruised through Reds Meadow in the late afternoon, 907 miles.