FKT: Laney Baris - NJ Appalachian Trail (NJ) - 2020-12-12

Route variation
Full NJ AT (72 miles)
Gender category
Start date
Finish date
Total time
1d 2h 30m 15s
GPS track(s)

Please note: my COROS watch displayed a total time as 26:30:15. When I uploaded the data to Strava, it mixed up my total time with my average pace per mile. So the Strava total time is not accurate. The COROS time is accurate. I tried to fix the problem, but I couldn’t figure it out. On Friday, December 11, 2020 at 5:22 am, I started my attempt at the NJ/PA border on the AT. My husband, Michael Turano, dropped me off and I began running. I carried enough food and 2 liters of water to get me to approximately 28 miles where my husband would meet me at the route 206 crossing to resupply me. It was a beautiful morning, clear, and in the mid 20’s. I saw the sun beginning to rise at Catfish Pond and many early morning deer along the ridge line after the pond. Trail conditions were excellent. At 206, I met my husband, who had a hot grilled cheese sandwich waiting for me. My feet were achy already so I slathered some biofreeze on them and set off again. I met my husband again in about 14 miles at High Point State Park. He had hot chocolate, mozzarella sticks, and pizza for me. I drank a Mexican Coke and headed off into darkness. High Point monument was beautiful in the night, all lit up with spotlights. This next section was very runnable and 10 miles later I met my husband at a road crossing (route 284) where I added more water to my pack, ate more pizza, and had a coffee. Another 10 miles, mostly runnable and I met my husband on route 94 by the Stairway to Heaven Parking lot. Again, I ate some pizza and drank some coffee. I added some cheese to my pack and began the last big climb up Stairway to Heaven. Just about nine miles to go to get to the NJ/NY border, I was sleep hiking on the trail. Not able to run much as my legs were pretty sore, I stumbled my way to the state line. I took a couple photos by the state line on Saturday, December 12, 2020 in the am, and then took the state line trail down to Greenwood Lake. My husband met me there to give me a ride back to civilization. I ran/hiked alone for the entire time.