The "Hogsback" is Klamath Fall's Green Mountain (Boulder, CO), Mount Tam (San Francisco), Elden (Flagstaff, AZ), or Grandeur (SLC).
Many a local athlete - mountaineer and runner alike- has trained and tested themselves via one of the two main routes on this unassuming mountain, filling the local skyline. Training for FKT attempts, trips to summit Aconcagua, Denali, even great Himalayan peaks found their humble beginnings on with countless laps on this peak, not to mention 100k and 100 mile races. It is a community centerpiece, even a bold paraglider pilot or two will launch cross-country flights from here.
There was even an informal/semi-formal race hosted among friends in the local running club - the Linkville Lopers - up "the hillclimb route" or now sometimes called the "old race route" it is the "Hillclimb Ascent" or "Gate to Summit" that is the most competitive of all of the times and routes, Josh Nelson's 24:53 has stood the test of many strong runners who have come through town [including Jeff Mogavero, Asher Catterall, and Kirby Garlitz] - though the round trip and descent marks for either route are not pedestrian either.
Similar to Green Mountain in Boulder the ascent, descent, and round trip have been individually competed upon enough to draw out five distinctions for this mountain.
Support Local Trail Initiatives:
The trails on this mountain are being developed and improved by the Klamath Trails Alliance - please consider a donation to them here for your attempt on this FKT or a donation to the Linkville Lopers non-profit here
Here are all the locally competitive variations complete with pre-existing times as of this submission:
1. "Hillclimb Ascent, Gate to Summit" - as of this submission - Josh Nelson in 24:53 on July 23rd, 2014 - Nicole Kandra in 33:25 on Feb 27, 2020
2. "Hillclimb Route, Gate to Gate" - as of this submission - Asher Catterall in 41:10 on Jan 2nd, 2020 - Nicole Kandra in 55:22 on Feb 27, 2020
3. "Hillclimb Route, Summit to Gate" - as of this submission - Asher Catterall in 13:48 on Jan 2nd, 2020 - Nicole Kandra in 17:48 on May 11, 2022
4. "Skyridge Direct, Ascent" - as of this submission - Jason Hardrath 22:15 on June 8, 2020 - Nicole Kandra in 25:55 on April 26, 2020
5. "Skyridge Direct, RT" - as of this submission - Jason Hardrath in 33:10 on June 8, 2020 - Nicole Kandra in 45:32 on Mar 24, 2022
Current FKT holders may not submit times formally but any submissions should still surpass the listed mark to be accepted for an FKT here.