New River Trail is a 57-mile linear park that follows an abandoned railroad right-of-way. The park parallels the scenic and historic New River for 39 miles and passes through four counties and the city of Galax. The trail's gentle slope makes it great for visitors of all ages to hike, bike and ride horseback. The park's Foster Falls area offers guided horseback trips; canoe and bike rentals; boat launches; gift shops; and a horse arena. Fishing is popular, and primitive campsites dot the trail. There are access points to the trail at Allisonia, Chestnut Yard, Cliffview, Dannelly Park (near Galax), Draper, Dora Junction (near Pulaski), Foster Falls, Fries, Galax, Gambetta, Hiwassee and Ivanhoe. Horse trailer parking is available at Allisonia, Austinville, Cliffview, Dora Junction, Draper, Fries, Ivanhoe and the Mark E. Hufeisen Horse Complex.
- Two tunnels: 135 feet and 193 feet long
- Three major bridges: Hiwassee - 951 feet; Ivanhoe - 670 feet; Fries Junction - 1,089 feet
- Nearly 30 smaller bridges and trestles
- A historic shot tower used more than 200 years ago to make ammunition
- Potable water is available only at Galax, Cliffview Campground (Dannelly Park) and Foster Falls as well as at the horse trailer lots at Ivanhoe, Draper and Dora Junction.
- Five non-flush toilets are available along the trail
Note that the FKT route is 50 miles from Galax to Pulaski (or reverse) - does not include the 7 mile (one way) spur to Fries.
Stephen Robbins, Matty Ponce-De-Leon, and Greg Anderson will attempt a self-supported effort on the same course listed by the gentlemen above this coming Thursday (2019-04-25). We intend to run over night, finishing early Friday morning. I will upload all necessary data assuming attempt is successful.
I plan to try a new unsupported FKT tomorrow, 7/26/2020, starting at Galax and heading towards Pulaski.
Did you succeed? If yes, what time?
Tomorrow morning, September 26th, I will be attempting the unsupported fkt from Galax to Pulaski